The countdown is running quickly toward zeroes. With great pageantry and trumpets blaring, the 2013 NFL Draft will begin at 8pm ET. Roger Goodell will walk to the podium to announce that the Kansas City Chiefs “are on the clock.” And, then they may not be.
There’s great speculation about the pick. If the Chiefs stay at No. 1, there are divergent thoughts as to which of the top Offensive Tackles will be chosen. There’s also been great speculation about the possibility of Branden Albert being dealt (the strength of those rumors ebbs and flows like the tide).
Either way, the guesswork ends tonight. While some writers work to finish off the 80th iteration of their mock drafts – with some even daring to take on all seven rounds — others are catching a catnap, ingesting the best of New York’s culinary options, or Tweeting up a storm of rumor, conjecture, speculation.
I felt obligated to toss up a mock-up of the first round here at SwollenDome.com. Like everyone else, I’m hoping to land a few hits on the dartboard (over/under is 5.5) and I used my own twisted logic, the ceaseless rumors and web chatter to get through the 32 selections. I expect to see a high numbers of trades and to wind up in Twitter jail several times.
Without further ado, here’s the roll call for Round One.
- 1. Kansas City: Eric Fisher, OL – Central Michigan
- 2. Jacksonville: Luke Joeckel, OL – Texas A&M
- 3. Oakland: Sharrif Floyd, DT – Florida
- 4. Philadelphia: Lane Johnson, OL – Oklahoma
- 5. Detroit: Dion Jordan, DL – Oregon
- 6. Cleveland: Geno Smith, QB – West Virginia
- 7. Arizona: D.J. Fluker, OL – Alabama
- 8. Buffalo: Ezekiel Ansah, DE – BYU
- 9. New York Jets: Barkevious Mingo, LB – LSU
- 10. Tennessee: Dee Milliner, CB – Alabama
- 11. San Diego: Jonathan Cooper, OL – North Carolina
- 12. Miami: Tyler Eifert, TE – Notre Dame
- 13. New York Jets: Tavon Austin, WR – West Virginia
- 14. Carolina: Star Lotulelei, DL – Utah
- 15. New Orleans: Kenny Vaccaro, DB – Texas
- 16. St. Louis: Jarvis Jones, LB – Georgia
- 17. Pittsburgh: Xavier Rhodes, DB – Florida State
- 18. Dallas: Sheldon Richardson, DL – North Carolina
- 19. New York Giants: Chance Warmack, OL – Alabama
- 20. Chicago: Justin Pugh, OL — Syracuse
- 21. Cincinnati: Johnathan Cyprien, DB – Florida International
- 22. St. Louis: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR – Tennessee
- 23. Minnesota: Manti Te’o, LB – Notre Dame
- 24. Indianapolis: Bjoern Werner, DL – Florida State
- 25. Minnesota: DeAndre Hopkins, WR – Clemson
- 26. Green Bay: Sylvester Williams, DL – North Carolina
- 27. Houston: Justin Hunter, WR – Tennessee
- 28. Denver: Eric Reid, DB – LSU
- 29. New England: Robert Woods, WR – USC
- 30. Atlanta: Desmond Trufant, DB – Washington
- 31. San Francisco: Matt Elam, DB – Florida
- 32. Baltimore: Alec Ogletree, LB – Georgia