1. Wes Welker, NE – played only 43 of the Patriots’ 67 offensive snaps against the Titans. He was limited to five targets, producing three receptions for 14 yards.
2. Chris Johnson, TEN – I thought we left the early-2011 version of Johnson in our rear view mirror? Johnson was limited to four rushing yards on 11 carries by the New England front. He added six receptions for 47 yards, but that offers little comfort to your aching soul. Johnson next faces the Chargers, a team that America will get to view in prime time against the Raiders on Monday night. Gene Simmons will perform the National Anthem.
3. Michael Turner, ATL – The Falcons celebrated a huge road win against the Chiefs. Turner produced just 32 rushing yards on 11 carries and watched Matt Ryan run for a touchdown.
4. Matthew Stafford, DET – Stafford passed for 355 yards, but tossed three interceptions before tossing the game-winning touchdown to Kevin Smith against the Rams.
5. Cam Newton, CAR – Newton finally tossed a touchdown pass to Brandon LaFell to get into the scoring lineup, but it was a difficult, often confusing, opening to his sophomore season. He passed for 303 yards with two interceptions and three sacks, adding just four rushing yards.
* Honorable mention is Rob Chudzinski, the offensive coordinator of the Panthers, who all but abandoned the run. DeAngelo Williams carried the ball six times for -1 yard. Six carries with Jonathan Stewart on the shelf!
6. Trent Richardson, CLE – Richardson gave you a huge workload as part of ROBO-back week in the NFL, but the Cleveland offense was pathetic under the direction of Brandon Weeden. Richardson amassed just 39 rushing yards despite the heavy workload.
7. Michael Vick, PHI – Vick passed for 317 yards and added 32 rushing yards in the Eagles’ narrow win over the Browns. Vick finished the game with four interceptions and two touchdowns and threw the ball 56 times.
* Andy Reid and Marty Mornhinweg kept throwing against Joe Haden and the secondary despite LeSean McCoy’s ability to run the ball. Vick threw the ball 56 times!